2018 Seniors Card Discount Directory

62 CONSUMER INFORMATION 1458.Sep17 Consumer and Business Services Home repairs or renovations Some DIY work can be risky, and even illegal (eg. electrical). It is often better to hire a licensed builder or tradesperson. Check their licence card (which may be a digital licence or plastic card) or visit the Licensing Public Register at cbs.sa.gov.au or phone Consumer and Business Services on 131 882 . Get it in writing For work costing $12,000 or more, there must be a written contract, and if council approval is required there must also be building indemnity insurance. For smaller jobs get a contract or written quote. Read and understand your contract before signing. Cost and payments Don’t pay too much in advance. If the company folds you may be at financial risk. Once the work has begun, only pay for work actually completed. Beware travelling tradespeople They are often not licensed; their work substandard; and they’re difficult to contact if there are problems.

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MjkzMw==